The Federal Polytechnic (Amendment) Decree of January 1, 1993 provides as follows:
1. The Minister of Education shall be the Visitor to the Polytechnic;
2. The Visitor shall, not less than once in every five years, conduct a visitation of the Polytechnic or appoint a visitation panel, consisting of not less than five experts, to conduct the visitation:
a. or the purpose of evaluating the academic and administrative performance of the Polytechnic;
b. for such other purpose or in respect of any other affairs of the Polytechnic as the Visitor may deem fit.
The Governing Council
Subject to the provisions of the Federal Polytechnics Decree No. 33 of July 1979, and without prejudice to any specific ministerial policies and directives, the Governing Council acts for the Federal Ministry of Education in formulating broad policies and guidelines for the general control and management of the Polytechnic. Also, the Governing Council shall be the governing authority of the Polytechnic and shall have custody, control and disposition of all the property and finances of the Polytechnic and except as may otherwise be provided in the Decree, shall manage and supervise generally, the affairs of the Polytechnic in such manner as appears to it, best calculated to promote the interest, aims and functions of the Polytechnic.
The Governing Council consists of a Chairman, a Secretary [the Registrar of the Polytechnic], and thirteen other members [including the Rector of the Polytechnic] drawn from commerce and industry, ministries, the community, inter alia, as provided by the Decree.
The Academic Board
There is an Academic Board whose functions and membership are as specified in the Federal Polytechnic Decree. The Board is responsible for:
1. The direction and management of academic matters of the Polytechnic, including the regulation of the admission of students, the award of certificate and diplomas, scholarships, prizes and other academic distinctions;
2. Making to the Council of such periodic reports on such academic matters as the Academic Board may think fit or as the Council may from time to time direct; and
3. The discharge of any other functions which the Council may delegate to it.
The membership of the Board consists of the Rector of the Institution as Chairman, Deputy Rector, all heads of academic departments, the Polytechnic Librarian, all Chief Lecturers in the Institution and two co-opted members of the academic staff. The Registrar of the Institution is the Secretary to the Board.
The Polytechnic Management Committee
The Principal Officers of the Polytechnic as provided in the Federal Polytechnics (Amendment) Decree 1993 are the Rector, Deputy Rector, Registrar, Bursar and the Polytechnic Librarian. The officers constitute themselves to the Polytechnic Management Committee through which they manage matters of the Polytechnic other than academic.
The Principal officers of the Polytechnic are listed below:
Arc. O.O. Aluko. Rector
Dr. A. B. Ajayi. Deputy Rector.
Mr. C.O.A. Adeosun. Registrar.
Mr. S. Adepoju. Bursar.
Mr. O.L. Adebisi. Ag. Polytechnic Librarian.
School Board of Studies
Each School has a Board of Studies comprising of all heads of departments in the School as members. The Dean heads the Board as Chairman. Academic matters including examinations, curriculum development and staff matters including staff development and promotions are considered prior to determination at the Academic Board and /or Polytechnic Management Committee as the case may be.